Great Buys to Get Kids Playing Outside
Make Outdoor Play a Priority This School Holiday
With screen time increasing, it's important to encourage children to get out in the garden and play. We've got some great buys to get kids playing outside, enjoying the fresh air and exercising.
Fly High on Swing Sets
There's no more iconic garden play equipment that a garden swing. Add in rope ladders, 2-seater gliders and slides to increase the fun.
Tips for Swing Sets:
- cement legs into the soil
- leave space behind for safe swinging without hitting trees or bushes - 2m around the set should suffice
- teach children never to walk infront of swings
Who doesn't love to whoosh down a slide? It's great to climb up too! Combined with swings or part of a playhouse, a slide becomes even more exciting
Tips for Slides:
- if you are buying a metal slide, remember that it can get very hot in the sunshine. Place slides facing away from the sunshine.
- make sure large slides are stable
- try running the hose down the slide with a tarpaulin at the bottom. A few squirts of bubble bath or washing up liquid (beware of allergies) and you've got your own slip 'n' slide.
- teach children to only go down the slide when the coast is clear
View the Trigano Condor X-Stream Slide here.
View the 13x6 Windsor Rose Tower Playhouse with Slide here.
For imaginative play, playhouses are ideal. A little house all to themselves, children love the sense of ownership and independence of having their own "home". It can also be a place to read, colour and relax. Whether a traditional wendy house or a two-storey cottage, a playhouse will help form lasting childhood memories.
Tips for playhouses
- Look out for pressure treated playhouses as these will not require treating for 15 years
- Leave enough space around the playhouses so you can mend or treat all parts
- Add soft pillow, blankets and bean bags for a cosy hideaway
- Have your child help you paint the playhouse in a favourite colour
- When purchasing, try to opt for as tall and large a playhouse as budget and space allows. This will make it a longer lasting investment as your child grows.
View our full range of wooden playhouses here.
Take Imaginative Play to the Next Level
These unique playhouses are designed to help your chlld's role play and imaginative games. They come unpainted, ready for you and your child to add your creative touch. View all our wooden playhouses, designed to create imaginary worlds for your children.
A sandpit is a timeless source of hours of fun. This one comes with a lid to keep sand clean and keep out cats. It's like a day at the beach right in your own garden! View the Rowlinson 4x4 Sandpit here.
We hope you have lots of family fun in the garden this school holiday! Do send us pics of your children enjoying their latest additions to the garden and making magical memories!